Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

I think my dog ate a tealight candle and holder a few days

I think my dog ate a tealight candle and holder a few days ago and since then he's had an upset stomach and it's bloated. He's not lost his appetite though.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. A lack of appetite can seem worrying. Does the dog also seem more tired than usual?
Customer: He's not lost his appetite
JA: Does the dog seem to be in any pain?
Customer: No
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bailey 12
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: No
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear this.By "holder" do you mean a metal container?Have you seen this pass in his stool?Is he having any symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhoea or constipation?
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I'm not sure he ate it all.. I had several empty tea lights on the side and there was some chewed ones on the floor when I came home a few days ago. He's not vomiting or showing any signs of that... but diarrhoea yes.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I've not seen it pass in his stool.. I'm guessing he ate some of it. And his tummy is bloated
Ok, thank you.The bloating and diarrhoea could he due to a stomach upset/gastroenteritis but I'm concerned he may have an obstruction caused by the metal object as this is not digestible and likely large enough to to stuck in the stomach outlet or small intestine.A vet visit is best so we can perform some imaging and determine if there is a blockage, as this could prove dangerous and even life threatening.At home, offer a bland diet of chicken and rice and some probiotics to help settle the stomach.The sooner he can be seen the better as he may go downhill quickly if there is an obstruction and the holder pierces the gut.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Where do I get prebiotic?
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Should I try see a vet today?
You can buy a prebiotic paste from online pharmacies, pet shops, vets and online. No prescription is needed.
One example would be a paste called protexin prokolin.
Absolutely, I would want him to see a vet today if at all possible.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Not at all and please feel free to keep me updated and to ask any further questions you may have.