Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My dog has a large lump on her back, shes had it for a year

hi. my dog has a large lump on her back
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice the dog had this lump?
Customer: shes had it for a year now. it has been tested and its not malignant but the vet said it should come out so it can be examined more
JA: What's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Coco. aged 12
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: There are signs of small pimple sized lumps under her fur. They also need testing
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I am personally unable to make calls but am happy to continue talking via typing if that's OK.Do you have the pathologist report from when it was sampled?
Could you please send a clear photo?
Is the lump growing or changing?
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
No i dont have the report
Ok, sure.
Do you know what the diagnosis was?
Normally a vet would advise examining / investigating a lump more if the report was inconclusive or if there was a concern there may be more going on.It is also sometimes advised a benign lump is removed if it is growing very large, interfering with mobility or becoming infected.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
No cant afford that sorry
I am personally unable to make calls but am happy to continue talking via typing if that's OK.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
No. Continue typing
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
The vet wants £1400 to remove the lump which i cannot afford. My insurance wont help until the procedure is done
I understand.Many vets will allow you to pay just your excess and will then claim back in the insurance directly. This is called a direct claim. If your vet clinic doesn't offer this service but you require it, I would suggest you call local clinics as one is bound to offer direct claims.This way, you do not need to worry about finding such a large amount of money upfront and the procedure can be done soon.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
The insurance say they wont pay up front. The vets got in touch with them but they said because the cost was so high they wouldnt pay until the operation was done
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
My excess is £65 plus 30%
insurance companies only pay afterwards when invoiced.
However, many vet clinics agree to do direct claims so they invoice the insurers not yourself after the surgery.If you feel you would also struggle to pay the 30%, it may be worth getting an estimate from another vet to see if they can perform the surgery cheaper or contacting a charity clinic (such as the rspca, pdsa or Blue cross) to see if you qualify.
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Ok. Thank you
Not at all and take care.

This is just Dr Linda checking in.

I hope you were happy with my reply and please let me know if I can be of any further help.

All the best to you and your pet!

Stay safe,

Linda

Customer: replied 1 day ago.

No problem at all. Sending my best to Coco!