Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My 10 mont he old Cockapoo, she has just eaten ( I think )

My 10 mont he old Cockapoo bitch
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the Cockapoo's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: she has just eaten ( I think ) an Estradiol tablet of mine she’s chewed applicator and tablet was in it
JA: How much does the Cockapoo weigh?
Customer: 4.6.5 kg
JA: Has she thrown up since eating the Estradiol?
Customer: no she’s playing with my Yorkshire terrier
JA: And what's the Cockapoo's name and age?
Customer: Jinny aged 10 months she’s getting spayed next week . It’s happed at thi very minute I heard the noise of her chewing .
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: Should I worry ?
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.What mg strength was the estradiol?
It has been studied at a dose of 0.2mg/kg in dogs and there were no observed side effects.For a dog of her size, this would mean an ingestion of anything up to 1.3mg is unlikely to be a concern.Higher doses can be toxic and may cause signs such as bone marrow toxicity. We could see signs signs as lethargy, nausea, and unexplained bleeding.If she had eaten a dangerous amount, an immediate vet visit is advised to induce vomiting and limit absorption. She may also be given some charcoal meals and iv fluids. The sooner this is done the better.I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions,Linda.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Awww thanks for your answer . I’ve found an applicator packet as that was my last one , waiting for script refill ! 10 micrograms it says for dose ? I don’t understand metric much 76 and still got brain in old money most of the time but she has been sick not a lot but as it’s classed as ‘ cream ‘ ( the suppository) it’s melted and her guts rejected it . Should I worry ? I could give her some cows milk that will make her sick cos dogs can’t digest it if u think so . I usually give goats milk as a treat .!
If it is 10 MICROGRAMS this is 0.01mg so a small dose.I would avoid dairy and give chicken and rice to settle her stomach.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thanks so much for your help . She is jumping about like a a Jack rabbit with her “ sister “ 12 years old blind yorkie. Peace of mind . X
Ah, bless her.If she has eaten the applicator we would need to be cautious of an obstruction so monitor for ongoing vomiting, lethargy or a reduced appetite.

This is just Dr Linda checking in.

I hope you were happy with my reply and please let me know if I can be of any further help.

All the best to you and your pet!

Stay safe,

Linda