Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My greyhound is not wanting to eat drink or go for a walk at

My greyhound is not wanting to eat drink or go for a walk at all, I think he is extremely scared of me and my partner and just want him to feel comfortable
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice this decrease in the Greyhound's appetite? How is his energy level?
Customer: we recently re homed him and of course it will take time for him to adjust but he just doesn’t want to do anything and it appears his energy level is really low
JA: Does the Greyhound seem to be in any pain?
Customer: doesn't seem to be in pain He has been in his bed all last night and all day today just worried because he hasn’t done the toilet since then
JA: And what's the Greyhound's name and age?
Customer: his name is ***** ***** he is 2 and a half
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Lance?
Customer: He’s recently just been neutered

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am so sorry to hear about Lance's behavior. I have had 3 rescue Greyhounds, they are wonderful dogs once they get acclimated to the retired home life. But you are very correct that he is terrified right now.

How long has he been with you?

Do you have any other dogs?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He has been with us since Saturday and no unfortunately we don’t and he is an ex racer aswell

Have you talked about his behavior with the rescue organization?

Did he come right from the rescue kennel or had he been in a foster home?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He stayed with the woman who was organising everything for three nights but before that he was In kennels

It may help to look at this from his perspective and his life experiences. At the racing kennel the only place that they are truly safe, and is their own, is their kennel. So a Greyhound that is afraid will retreat and stay there. Even a normally highly food motivated pup may not eat. If he's not eating and drinking then he won't produce waste.

At the racing kennel everything is done with a group of other dogs. Even in his first experience away from the racing kennel he took clues on what to do from other dogs at the rescue woman's home. He has never NOT lived with another dog. He is likely waiting for another dog to come show him what to do.

Many Greyhounds are a bit shy around people, they are bred to please you, and would rather do nothing than do the wrong thing.

Poor guy likely does not even know his name.  Names are ***** ***** at the track.

I would put his leash on him, giving him gentle tugs to get him up, out and moving, and try using small chunks of hot dog to pique his interest and reward him for coming with you. The get him out to eliminate and for a short walk.

It is important to not lose your patience with him. You may need to get a harness for him, and leave a short leash on him all the time so you can get him to come out at least 2 to 3 times a day to eliminate and eat.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No problem so should we just keep an eye on him and maybe contact a friend for a meet up with there dogs aswell?

Don't stare at him, that is considered a threat. Sit on the floor near him read or watch TV, and have some treats on hand should he get curious and come to you. They loved to be talked to, so just keep talking in a soothing voice. He needs to rest now after his neuter. But in a week or so if you have friends with Greyhounds perhaps they can come over and show him how houses work and what lovely people you are!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don’t think he does know his name to be fair and no problem taking all of this on board

Not all Greyhounds like other dogs, so be aware that while he may enjoy seeing another Greyhound, he may not enjoy other dogs! They live such a sheltered life they may not even recognize other breeds as dogs. My current fellow is like that.

You may want to call his rescue lady and ask what his favorite treats were, and what sort of insight she can give you about his personality.

The most important thing for these guys is routine and reliability. Try to do things the same time/way every day for now. He is learning to trust you and a whole new world. Give him time to watch from his safe place, but do bring him out several times a day for potty breaks and snacks. Peanut butter or spray cheese on your fingers is a good incentive to stay with you for a bit, and a very positive reward.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you so much for your advice hopefully we can get him to come around he’s currently eating right now so We over the moon

That's great that he is eating!!

These guys are shell shocked, but such a joy when they get comfortable, learn to trust & show you their goofy personalities. Keep in touch & let me know how things go!

Tell him Casey says "Hi", and he will attest that retired life rocks!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you so much once again you have no idea how much a help this has been and will keep you posted

Thanks! I'd love updates.