Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My 11 year old miniature poodle has been chewing grass all

My 11 year old miniature poodle has been chewing grass all day , has not eaten his dinner and is unusually subdued and now panting
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the poodle will be able to digest that. What is the poodle's name?
Customer: Moses
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: He has been on a diet and is always hungry. He does forage when our and about in local fields . I can hear his tummy squeaking

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Moses has increased noises from his abdomen, is not eating his dinner, is panting and has been eating grass. I understand that he has been on a weight loss program and so has been scrounging for snacks on his walks.

Any loose stools or vomiting?

Did he eat his breakfast normally?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello , he has been having very loose stools but has just managed a slightly more solid one ... he went in the garden which is almost unheard of .
He did eat his breakfast this morning but has not been drinking as much water today
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My husband has just taken him out to see if he passes any more

Thanks! That is all helpful information. These noises are the result of ingesta moving through the gastrointestinal tract and gas bubbles. In most cases they are completely normal and seem to cause the dog no distress. But in cases where the dog acts uncomfortable it is likely that the pup is experiencing some reflux or abnormal motility, or painful intestinal spasms that are more than the usual. In severe cases this can be linked to pancreatitis which is a painful inflammation of the pancreas leading to increased enzyme leakage. Possible causes of a lack of an appetite include a sudden change in diet, dietary sensitivities or allergies, or eating things that they should not (like things found outside/garbage, bones etc.). Metabolic organ failures (kidney or liver disease), Addison's disease (hypoadrenocortisim), pancreatitis, inflammatory bowel disease or even infiltrative cancers are other possible causes. In his case I suspect he found something outside, ate it and is now suffering from the effects. Typing more...

To help with gastrointestinal upset and reflux you can give an over the counter acid reducing medication that people take for acid reflux, either:

1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one half of a 10mg tablet per 6 to 20 pounds of body weight every 12 hours

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one quarter of a 20mg tablet per 6 to 20 pounds of body weight every 12 hours

OR

3) Ranitidine at a dose of 1/4 of a 75mg tablet per 15 to 30 pounds of body weight every 8 hours

These are acid reducers and should help him feel more comfortable. They are quite safe and any of them can be used for a few days if needed. In some cases dogs remain on them long term if this is a repeated problem. I would pick up all food for now and water for a couple hours to allow his stomach to settle after the acid reducer dose. In a couple hours when you give him water or low salt clear broths like low salt beef or chicken broth to drink but make sure it is in small amounts only. If he drinks too much too quickly that can lead to nausea and vomiting. To get some electrolytes in you can also offer him a 50:50 mix of pedialyte and water. Typing more...

If he seems to feel better tomorrow morning offer a bland diet mix of 1/3 part boiled, minced, white, skinless chicken or boiled, lean hamburger and 2/3 part boiled, plain, white rice or pasta mixed with some low salt chicken or beef broth to make it more palatable as well as increase his fluid intake. Probiotics such as Fortiflora, Proviable, or Benebac can be added to the bland diet mix to help replace appropriate bacteria. If things go well and he eats and doesn't vomit feed him the bland diet for 2 to 3 days then slowly start to mix back in his regular food, a little more at each meal. It should take about 5 to 7 days to slowly convert him back to his regular diet.

If he continues to refuse to eat, begins to vomit, runs a fever (more than 103F rectally), has a tense painful belly then he is not a candidate for home therapy and must see a veterinarian for an examination, diagnostics, injectable anti-nausea drugs intravenous fluids and supportive care. It has been my pleasure to help you today. You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you so much for your reassuring message , much appreciated.

Glad to help, my best to your little one!