Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

I have a very bloated cat here who also feels a lot cooler

Customer Question

I have a very bloated cat here who also feels a lot cooler than he should
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long has the cat had this bloating?
Customer: Came on earlier today
JA: Does the cat ever go outside? Is he taking any medications?
Customer: Hasn't been outside for a day or so no medications at present
JA: And what's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Harvey, he's about 9
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: His gums look quite pale too
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 17 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear Harvey is not well.What do you mean by bloated; his abdomen is enlarged?
Can you take his rectal temperature with a digital thermometer?
Are his gums pink and wet?
I see you said the gums are pale; could you please send a picture?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Haven't got a thermometer and he's not being very cooperative about a photo of his gums either!
Ok, I understand.The concern if he is cold, has pale gums and a bloated abdomen is that there could be an internal bleed.This can be due to e.g. trauma, toxin ingestion or a ruptured tumour.I would bring him to the vet immediately. They will examine him and may run some tests such as a blood test and abdominal scan.Treatment will depend on what is going on and may include e.g. intravenous fluids and active warming.The sooner he is seen the better.I am personally unable to make calls but am happy to continue talking via typing if that's OK.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Not possible to ring me now
I cannot make calls but another vet can call. Alternatively, if no call is made, you will be refunded.
I do apologise for the inconvenience.My response should be visible above and is also in your email inbox.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
No thanks we'll get him to a vet
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I've been charged for the call, when does it get refunded?
I'm not entirely sure when refunds are made as customer services do this but I believe it is done within a few days. If you have any issues, they will be able to help.This window stays open so please feel free to keep me updated and to ask any further questions you may have.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Ok thank you, ***** ***** to wait til morning for the vets to reopen
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Is there anything we can do for him tonight
From your description he needs to see a vet immediately and is potentially at risk of passing away if not seen immediately.All vets offer an emergency service for situations like this.If unsure of your nearest emergency clinic please send me your postcode.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I know this, it's not financially possible for us to afford out of hours fees, we cancelled the insurances when we were furloughed and though his well being comes first we can't afford it and we don't meet the criteria for the pdsa
You may find a vet who offers payment plans or accepts payment on credit.
I'm very sorry you're in this position but have to urge you to try and find a way to have him seen tonight.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
There isn't one locally and our vet doesn't offer credit plans of any kind

If you are unable to get assistance, given how unwell he sounds to be, you also have the option of surrendering him to your nearest vet. This would mean they would take him on. If his condition is treatable, they would potentially treat and re-home him. If it is not (or it would be very costly to treat), they would euthanasia him, to prevent suffering.

At the end of the day, no vet wants to see a cat suffer.

I would advise you call around and explain you have a cat who is extremely unwell and may be suffering; they should be able to assist you.