RebeccaC921
RebeccaC921,
Experience:  Expert
110217497

Our tortoise bought up a lot of mucus and has some discharge

Customer Question

Our tortoise bought up a lot of mucus and has some discharge out of his eye he’s not eating very much and isn’t as active as usual.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice this decrease in the tortoise's appetite?
Customer: last couple of days
JA: Does the tortoise seem to be in any pain?
Customer: no
JA: And what's the tortoise's name and age?
Customer: sheldon and he’s 16
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: No
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 23 days ago.

Expert:  RebeccaC921 replied 22 days ago.

Hello there,

Welcome to Just Answer. We are an online advice service. You are through to Dr Coles. I am a UK based vet. I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your tortoise. Discharge from the eyes as well as mucous around the mouth is often suggestive of respiratory infections. Tortoises can be predisposed to respiratory infections due to lack of vitamin A, calcium as well as some infectious diseases such as mycoplasma and herpes virus. I would recommend checking his temperatures to ensure that his basking spot is adequate, as if it is not warm enough sometimes this can cause chronic respiratory disease. If he is not eating he will need assisted feeding (either by syringe or by tube by your vet). I would advise bathing him twice daily with warm water and reptoboost solution. However he needs to see a vet ASAP as he will neeed treatment with antibiotics. They may decide he needs swabs to test for mycoplasma and herpes. It is also important to check your husbandry is all good including his UVB light provision (it needs to be close enough to him and adequate percentage). Kind regards, ***** *****