Susan MRCVS
Susan MRCVS,
Experience:  Expert
112619934

I have a tortoise.he has been out of hibernation since about

Customer Question

JA: Hi there. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: I have a tortoise.he has been out of hibernation since about 8th of May
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the tortoise's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: Sorry l pressed the enter before l had finished unfortunately he has not eaten until about a week ago and that was very little not touched anything since also he has not been for wee or toilet but sat in sun a lot is drinking but suddenly over the last few days he is got a bad shake on front leg also started to drag his back end and not lifting his rear end just shuffling to get to one place to another.
JA: A lack of appetite can seem worrying. Does the tortoise also seem more tired than usual?
Customer: Yes he is just making it to one place then sleep for a long time ....
JA: Does the tortoise seem to be in any pain?
Customer: No he is making no noises but really how do l know if he is
JA: What's the tortoise's name and age?
Customer: Rambo at least about 30 years.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: His eyes still look bright and if l walk over to him he will look up at me
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 17 days ago.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Morning yes that's fine.
Expert:  Susan MRCVS replied 16 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I'm a vet in the UK

What species is Rambo? Each tortoise speciies has a very different diet and hibernation period.

My first thoughts are May is too late to wake from hibernation so I suspect Rambo is ill. I recommend you make an appointment to see a vet, an exotic vet if there is one near by, to discuss hospitalisation for treatment.. Often a tortoise will need a tube inserted to assist feeding if they wake up ill from hibernation.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you for your reply Rambo wakes every year in early May for the last 30 years and I have never had a problem with him I have spoken to the tortoie Association in Wales this morning and on there advice he is now on treatment from our vets.
I must say I was not impressed with you service and the time it took for any one to reply to this question.
Regards T.A

Hopefully Rambo will make a speedy recovery