RebeccaC921
RebeccaC921,
Experience:  Expert
110217497

I have a Californian Kingsnake from 2 and a half month. He's

Customer Question

hello I have a Californ***** *****snake from 2 and a half month. He's 1,5 years old and I bought it from EvolutionReptile In Kidlington. the problem with him is it's been two months he refused to eat, and I start to worry a bit about him! The thing is I tried, checked everything and he's still not interested into his food,... What shall I do ? :)
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. A lack of appetite can seem worrying. Does the Kingsnake also seem more tired than usual?
Customer: No every day is moving around the terrarium
JA: Does the Kingsnake seem to be in any pain?
Customer: I don't think so
JA: What's the Kingsnake's name?
Customer: Requiem
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: No nothing really happened to him
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 21 days ago.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
HI thank you for your response ! I don't mind waiting a bit longer :)
Expert:  RebeccaC921 replied 21 days ago.

Hello there,

Welcome to Just Answer. We are an online advice service. You are through to Dr Coles. I am a UK based vet. I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your snake. Has he eaten at all since you have had him? it is not unusual for snakes to go a long period of time without eating however  months is approaching concerning lengths. Obviously a change in environment and enclosure etc can cause some stress and we would expect them to be off their food for a few weeks, however I would not expect it to last two months. If you have checked your husbandry is all OK - temperature adequate, I usually recommend a ceramic heat emitter rather than a heat matt, and adequate hides/humidity etc. Does he seem bright and well in himself? Or does he seem lethargic/dull? Male snakes (if he is definitely male - probed) can be inappetant at this time of year when they are looking for a mate but they tend to be up against the glass in the vivarium often. I would advise trying various different food items including smaller than he is usually used to such as pinkies/fuzzies. I would also try heating these up. You can also leave him in a pillowcase overnight with the prey item as this often encourages them to eat. Another tactic is to try 'braining' the item, basically mushing it up so that some blood is released and then the scent is stronger. If none of these techniques work I would advise having him checked by a vet ASAP who is familiar with reptiles. This is because reptiles are good at hiding signs of illness and often a clinical exam and sometimes blood tests are required to detect illness.

Dr Coles

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
thanks for your answer! yes he ate the two first weeks I got him! I tried different food, all the setup/temperature have been checked, I tried to cut the nose as well, nothing changed. It's true that he tend to be up against the glass of the terrarium. I'm gonna bring him back to the shop where I bought him from anf they're gonna checked as well!

I would advise taking him to a reptile vet rather than the shop as they are not qualified to assess his general health and perform a health check.