Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My pup has swallowed some ibuprofen tabkets, Hes about 5kg,

Customer Question

My pup has swallowed some ibuprofen tabkets
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How much does the puppy weigh?
Customer: Hes about 5kg
JA: When was this? Has he thrown up since eating the tablets?
Customer: I fell asleep watching TV and do its in the last couple of hrs. Yes he's bn sick about 15mins ago
JA: What's the puppy's name?
Customer: Barney
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: No
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 15 days ago.
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
Hopefully I can help you today.What mg strength were the tablets and what is the maximum amount Barney could have eaten?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
400mg about 5 tablets
Unfortunately, we can start to see toxicity from doses as little as 50mg/kg (or 250mg for a dog Barney's size). He has eaten about 8 times the toxic dose.We can see signs such as vomiting, stomach ulcers and even kidney failure. Dogs can even pass away.The sooner a dog is treated, the better their prognosis.He needs to go to an emergency vet immediately. They will make him sick (again) and provide activated charcoal and intravenous fluids to minimise toxin absorption.
I am personally unable to make calls but am happy to continue talking via typing if that's OK.If you need the details for your nearest emergency clinic, please send me your postcode.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Is there a vet near me that can do a house call?
You need to ask the vet directly as this will depend on how busy the are, what staff are working and their pandemic protocol.
Most are not offering home visits at the moment. Also, if he needs to be put put a fluid drip, this wouldn't be a practical option.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok im going to take j
hum to a vet
Ok, great.Wishing him all the very best.Please feel free to keep me updated and to ask any further questions you may have.
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 14 days ago.

Hello, this is just Dr Linda checking in to see how your puppy is getting on?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hes bn in overnight since Tuesday night and hopefully getting him back today. His liver enzymes have bn slightly affected but kidneys fine and he's bn bright and alert
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 13 days ago.

I'm glad he has been well taken care of and fingers crossed he is home soon.