Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My rabbit has become very lethargic this evening ,not moving

Customer Question

hello my rabbit has become very lethargic this evening ,not moving much and laying down , very out of character, cold ears , drinking water.
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. How has the rabbit's appetite been? Any changes in stool?
Customer: no change in stools, she's an indoor rabbit but been out in a run all day today , with shade .
JA: Could she have eaten something unusual?
Customer: dont know ......not aware that she has , she's probably eaten plenty grass but not touched her dried food or vegetables that she general eat.
JA: What's the rabbit's name and age?
Customer: Matilda and she is 5 months old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: her ears and body feel cold ,she is a mini rex .
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 12 days ago.

Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 12 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear Matilda is so poorly
This is a true emergency and she needs to see a vet immediately.
Rabbits are a prey animal so only act lethargic or unwell when very poorly. Otherwise, they would be an easy target for predators in the wild.
Her signs could have many causes (such as an infection or overgrown teeth or bloat) and may have been exacerbated by the heat.The vet will examine her and treatment may include fluids, gut motility drugs, pain relief and antibiotics.I wouldn't delay and would bring her to your vet now.

I'm just checking in to ensure this is all OK?

Please feel free to keep me updated and to ask any further questions you may have.