Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My 9yr old Chihuahua is coughing up froth. For a few

Customer Question

My 9yr old Chihuahua is coughing up white froth. For a few minutes. Then fine but had about 4 bouts of this today and didn't want his food.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the Chihuahua's name?
Customer: Milo
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Coughing bringing up small white frothy spots spit.
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 21 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear Milo is unwell.Did Milo have a cough before today?
Has he ever been diagnosed with a heart murmur?
Is he up to date with his kennel cough vaccine and lungworm prevention?
Would he eat if you offered e.g. warm chicken?
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
he would eat chicken. No he is not up to date with his jabs . He has never been diagnosed with any heart problems. Our other Chi is in season but milo is not entire.
Thank you for this additional information.When was he last seen by a vet?
Is the other dog coughing at all?
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
No the other chi is fine except in season.
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
she fine

I am personally unable to make a call but if another vet becomes available, they can ring you.

I can talk via typing if that is ok.

When was Milo last seen by a vet?

The reason I ask is because conditions like heart disease and tracheal collapse are very common in his breed at this age and would usually have been picked up by a vet during a routine check.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
He's been to our vets 2 months ago with a loose tooth. They gave him the all clear listening to his heart.

That's reassuring, thank you for confirming.

I am just typing my reply now which will take a few minutes.

Coughing can trigger white froth (saliva or phlegm) to be brought up and this isn't always a red flag. A harsh or honking cough can sound concerning.However, his reduced appetite is a worry and may indicate e.g. a bacterial infection, fever or something more.As he is an older boy, we would want him seen by a vet ASAP so they can listen to his lungs and rule out a fever.At home, ensure his breathing is clear and settled and less than 30 breaths a minute.If you have it available and he is due, go ahead and give his lungworm prevention.
Keep the air well ventilated and free of dust, smoke and cooking fumes.Use a body harness rather than neck collar when outside but do allow him to rest.You can try to ease his throat with a teaspoon of honey.If you feel his breathing is affected or he is very unwell, a vet visit tonight would be sensible.
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Thanks but I'll take him to our vets tomorrow. He's just eaten his tea and calmed down. Please take your fee and cancel the rast of my account
Im glad he's eaten and agree a vet check is for the best.With regards ***** ***** account subscription etc, as the vet this isn't something I can help with. If you contact customer services they will assist.Take care,Linda
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Rest of my account
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Thank you I will.
Stay safe and all the best to Milo.