Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My guinea pig had a caesarean a week ago and she downed half

Customer Question

Hi, my guinea pig had a caesarean a week ago and she downed half a bottle the day after the operation. But hasn’t touched it since. I’ve been stringing her water which she is taking well and I’ve given her cucumber too to keep her hydrated. Any tips?
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 20 days ago.

Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.

It is important to ensure Georgia is well hydrated, especially if nursing.

Ensure her little ones are growing well and that she is alert, eating and passing normal stool and urine (if you can).

You are doing the right thing by offering food with a high water content (like veg) and syringing water (if she tolerates this ok).

Do ensure she is eating lots of hay as this should make her feel thirsty and encourage her to drink.

If you have taken a bowl away so it is not a hazard, consider offering it while supervised for a few minutes as some piggies dislike drinking from bottles.

I hope this helps!

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Thank you for the tips. Yep she is eating food and hay as she normally would, but she sort of isn’t nursing as she never produced milk after the surgery - other than a minimal drop.She is also pooping lots and they are almost back to full normal size.She is also very alert and active.I will try a water bowl instead, she always used to drink from a bottle but maybe she’s changed her mind.Thank youAlso both babies are doing really well and are 1 week today.

Ah ok, thank you. As she isn't really nursing, her water requirement will be less.

I'm glad to hear babies are doing well; it sounds like you are doing all of the right things!

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Would you suggest not giving her fruit or veg for 1 day and just give her hay and her food nuggets to see if she will then use her bottle or water bowl?

Yes, if she will take the hay then this is absolutely a good suggestion.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Okay, will give that a try. Thank you