Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My cat keep scratching and licking himself and behind his

Customer Question

Hello there, my cat keep scratching and licking himself and behind his ears and at the back, beginning of his tails his hair are thin and changing colour..should I be worried?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No, that's all thanks
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 10 days ago.

Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.

What age is your cat and does he go outside?

When was he last treated for parasites and what was used?

Would it be possible to send a clear photo of his skin?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hello Dr. Linda, thank you for your time!
My cat's name is ***** ***** he's one year and 3 months old. He does go outside but on my supervision and he stays in the garden. He did the parasite treatment last month, frontline. I will take a picture of him now and send it to you
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
File attached (TGT124S)

I can certainly see where the fur is thinning.

Is the skin pink or scabby?

With regards ***** ***** in colour, this is likely due to the sun! Ginger highlights are common and no cause for concern.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
No, it's just the hair kinda short and thin. He also only eat dry food, doesn't eat any wet food..can be some deficiency in vitamins? And his over grooming can be because of some parasite infection? Thanks in advance!

Is the dry food a 'complete' adult food rather than a topper?

Over grooming can have several causes. The most common at his age would be parasites (fleas or mites), allergies (to e.g. food or grass/pollen), anxiety or bacterial / fungal infections. If the skin appears normal, and infection is less likely.

Frontline treats for fleas and ticks but not mites so it would be worth using a prescription broad acting spot on such as Advocate (which his vet can provide) when next due. If fleas are likely, ensure all cats/dogs/rabbits are treated, as well as the environment as 95% of any flea burden live in the home. We should treat by hoovering daily, hot washing all bedding and rugs over 60' and using a flea spray containing IGR such as Indorex.

If you feel the coat is poor quality, it may be worth starting a skin and coat supplement such as YuDerm.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Dry food is a complete supplement, one is for gastrointestinal and the other one is for food sensitivities from hill's.
I bought the skin supplement just yesterday so I will try to treat him with them and I will contact my vet so she can prescribe me some treatment for mites. I have 3 more cats and they don't have any of his problems..his skin seems ok and his fur is shiny and clean.
Thank you for your help! I feel better!

That's great.

I would continue with that food and start the supplement as planned.

When it comes to parasites, some cats will react more than others. So, if he does have an infestation it is essential we treat all of the cats (even if they are not showing signs) so they are not a source of the parasites.

I hope this has helped and stay safe!

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I will do! Thanks again!
Stay safe too! Have a great weekend

And you :)