Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

We have a three year old Syrian hamster, until recently has

Customer Question

We have a three year old Syrian hamster, until recently has been very healthy. The last week she has been bleeding from the back passage and quiet totter on her back feet. She seems happy now to have a drink and fill her pouches with food and stay in her bed, before this she used to run around the ground floor of the house for an hour sometimes. Can you advise as the children are very upset. Many thanks
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How badly is the hamster bleeding?
Customer: It doesn't seem to be a lot and she seems to be going to the toilet ok, but not 100 percentage sure about poohing
JA: What's the hamster's name?
Customer: The girls called her hammy, after several different names.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Hammy?
Customer: Don't think so
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 14 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.I'm sorry to hear Hammy has developed these issues.Her signs are very serious and could indicate a serious infection, cancer or an injury.It is important she is seen by a vet ASAP so they can examine her and determine what is going on.
She may well require some medicine such as anti inflammatories and antibiotics.We are limited at home. All we can really do is ensure she is eating and drinking well and minimise any stress and handling.While well enough now, she could go downhill quickly. I would have her seen as soon as you can.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Can you recommend a vet close to me, I live in Downend, South Gloucestershire, just outside of Bristol

I am personally unable to make a call but am happy to continue talking via typing.

I am in West London but can see that the nearest OPEN vet to you right now is:

Rowe Vet Group

so I would give them a call on***********/p>

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you very much for your help

Not at all and wishing her all the very best.