Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

Bichon Havanese, I have two dogs, Bichon Havanese, mother

Customer Question

Bichon Havanese
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the Bichon's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: I have two dogs, Bichon Havanese, mother and pup, both female, mother is almost 2yrs old, pup is almost 9 months old. For two days they've been having diarrhea. The mother's been vomiting foamy, and not eating, both dogs presented blood in the stool recently. They both have been vaccinated.
JA: A lack of appetite can seem worrying. Does the Bichon also seem more tired than usual?
Customer: No
JA: Does the Bichon seem to be in any pain?
Customer: No
JA: What's the Bichon's name?
Customer: Tina
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: I have two dogs, Bichon Havanese, mother and pup, both female, mother is almost 2yrs old, pup is almost 9 months old. For two days they've been having diarrhea. The mother's been vomiting foamy, and not eating, both dogs presented blood in the stool recently. They both have been vaccinated.
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 17 days ago.

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet,

I am just reviewing your question now...

I'm sorry to hear your dogs have not been themselves.

When were they last treated for parasites and which product was used?

Are they both up to date with their routine vaccinations?

Any chance they have eaten something they shouldn't have such as a houseplant, human medicine, plastic, bone, rich food, rat bait or weedkiller?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Both are up to date with vaccination. The mother has the following vaccines/medication: Caniverm, Nobivac Puppy DP, Biocan Novel Puppy, Biocan Novel DHPPi, Biocan LR, Biocan C, Nobivac KC.The pup: Nobivac L4, Nobivac DHP.They sometimes eat grass when I take them for a walk, but that's nothing recent. They eaten recently chicken bone, but we it's always cooked and without that sharper smaller bone.
Last weekend they went to a different household which also had a dog.

I am personally unable to make calls but am happy to continue talking via typing if that is ok.

Thank you for that additional information, that's very helpful.

I'm just typing my response now.

Thank you for this information.

Do you know if that other dog is sick?

When did they eat the chicken bone (cooked bone also poses risks to dogs)?

Do you know when the mother had the Caniverm and if the puppy has been treated for worms?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Hopefully that payment for the call won't be deducted.

For any payment queries, customer services will be able to assist. As the vet, I cannot see what payments have or have not been made. If any payment was taken, this would be refunded as they will be able to see no call was made.

Do you know if that other dog (that you saw last weekend) is sick?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
They had the chicken bones on Sunday, during said trip. The other dog they contacted doesn't seem to have anything, yesterday is when we spoke with its owner last. The mother had the caniverm on 11.04.2019. The pup has no other treatment than the aforementioned ones. They both got regular checks but no new medication.

Thank you for this additional information.

As neither are up to date with their parasite prevention, and worms can present in this manner, the first thing I would do would be to have them treated. You can purchase a broad acting wormer such as Panacur online or from a pet shop or vet clinic. Adult dogs should be wormed every 3 months while puppies need to be wormed more regularly than this.

Worms are a common cause of vomiting, diarrhoea and blood in the stool.

There are, of course, other possible explanations for their symptoms including an infection, a reaction to the chicken bones, an unseen toxin ingestion etc.

Going forward, I would advise against feeding any bones.

The main thing is that both dogs remain active and alert. They should have pink and wet gums and should not be straining to pass poo, panting or unsettled.

You can start them on a probiotic anti diarrhoea paste such as Protxein Prokolin. This does not require prescription and is given daily for 3 days.

I would also start a bland diet of boiled white chicken and rice that is given littler and often for 2-3 days to rest their stomachs.

You should find that they improve shortly, over a matter of 1-2 days. If this is not the case or they seem any worse, a vet visit is best. The vet will examine them and may advise e.g. a stool analysis.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I've just been informed they had some medication for worms but that was roughly 6 months ago. Bravecto chewable table is what we have on hand for parasites.

Ok, sure.

As it has been 6 months, this is likely no longer effective so I would go ahead and worm both again.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Ok will do.