Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My Syrian Hamster has had a small amount of blood coming

Customer Question

My Syrian Hamster has had a small amount of blood coming from his penis, yesterday. It was a smal amount and he seems fine within himself but I am just concerned it could be something worse or lead to something worse.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your Syrian hamster?
Customer: small amount of blood coming from his penis, yesterday. It was a smal amount and he seems fine within himself but I am just concerned it could be something worse or lead to something worse.
JA: Where does your Syrian hamster seem to hurt?
Customer: He does not seem in pain. There was just some blood from his penis
JA: OK. No obvious pain. Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Nothing obvious, no. He is pushing 2 years old.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 14 days ago.

Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.

I'm personally unable to make calls but can talk via typing if that ok.

I'm sorry your hamster has developed this issue and understand your concern.

Possible causes would include an injury to the penis, urinary infection, bladder stones or a cancer.

A vet visit is important so he can be checked. They will examine him and feel for any stones, as well as check his penis for any injuries. They may analyse the urine for infection.

He may require medicine such as anti inflammatories and antibiotics and the sooner these are started the better.

At home, check the cage for any sharp edges he may have injured himself on. Ensure he is eating and drinking well.

Hopefully we can get on top of this soon.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
There has been no more bleeding since (around 24 hours ago) and I have not spotted any blood anywhere else or in his urine.

That is reassuring.

If, for example, it was a small injury that has now healed, we may not see any further signs.

However, these guys can be very secretive and are good at cleaning up after bleeding, so I would still advise a visit to ensure all is well.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
OK thank you very much for your help. I will look to set something up.

Happy to help and take care!