JakeC415
JakeC415,
Experience:  Expert
112362328

My gecko has not eaten for at least a couple of weeks now

Customer Question

Hi. My gecko has not eaten for at least a couple of weeks now and is shedding her skin more than usual at every 10 days approx. Her usually fat tail is now much slimmer. She is 13 years old approx and had a hysterectomy 11 years ago approx. Could it be she has parasites?
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. A lack of appetite can seem worrying. Does the gecko also seem more tired than usual?
Customer: Yes sleeping majority of the time now
JA: Does the gecko seem to be in any pain?
Customer: No
JA: What's the gecko's name?
Customer: Katie Perry
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: Not that I can think off. I’ve even tried feeding her wax worms (her favourite) but she is not interested.
Expert:  JakeC415 replied 20 days ago.

Hi there, you are through to Dr. Jake. Im a UK based vet. Im sorry to hear of your concerns with your gecko, Katie Perry.

Her signs of loosing her tail fat and and reduction in eating is concerning. These signs in reptiles are what we call 'non specific' and can be due to a wide range of conditions including nutritional, metabolic, liver and kidney problems, oral  problems related to eating and many more. Reptiles are good at hiding signs and often become ill much more slowly than other pets such as dogs and cats. this makes it hard to tell how long things have been going on for but its usually longer than we expect.

If you have has her for this length of time and not had problems are a diagnosis i would say its less likely she has parasites though it would be a good idea to collect a faecal sample for your vet to examine under the microscope.

I would recommend an appointment with your local exotic vet so they can perform a full examination, have a look in her mouth, feel her abdomen to make sure there isnt anything concerning going on - we do find reptiles can sometimes retain reproductive tissue after spaying and there is still a possibility follicular tissue and egg type structures can be laid so this would be a good idea for your vet to examine to rule this out. we unfortunately also do see tumours in geckos so they will be able to examine her for this as well.

i hope all this information helps

kind regards

Dr. Jake

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Thank you so much for your advise. I have now booked her in for an appointment for an examination.
Many Thanks
Paul
Expert:  JakeC415 replied 20 days ago.

No problem, im sorry i cant be more specific without examination though your vet will be able to further assist you on if diagnostics are required after examination.

kind regards

Dr. Jake