Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My Maltese is coughing violently and spitting up foam when

Customer Question

My young Maltese is coughing violently and spitting up white foam when ever he goes to tha park why is this?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the Maltese's name and age?
Customer: Bentley is the name, and the age is 1 and a half years
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: He is neutered and has the kennel cough vaccine
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 10 days ago.

Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.

I'm sorry to hear Bentley has this issue.

When did this start?

Does it only occur in the park?

Does he eat grass?

Does he pull on his lead when walking?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Doesn’t pull on his lead
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
has happened twice only in the park so far
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Started this week
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
he loves eating and chewing grass and daisys
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Please get back to me ASAP :)

Thank you, ***** ***** just typing my reply now

As it has only happened twice and he is otherwise well, I would not be overly concerned.

Many dogs chew and eat grass and then throw up a small amount of bile or saliva.

There are many theories a to why this may happen. Some dogs like the taste of sweet grass in the summer while others may eat the grass to reduce bile secretion.

Going forward, stop letting him eat grass. If he is trying to, clip his lead back on and distract him with e.g. a game, some training commands or a toy.

If you use a neck collar, switch to a body harness as this puts less pressure on small necks.

Ensure Bentley is up to date with his intestinal worm and lungworm prevention.

Ensure he hasn't eating anything different recently; such as a new chew or rich human food. Try to keep his meals bland (just regular dog food) and to feed him morning and evening.

If his signs continue or worsen, it would be best to have him assessed by a vet in case there is more going on. Other considerations would include e.g. an infection, tracheal collapse or a foreign body in the throat.

I do hope this helps!

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hello?

My reply is written above. If you are having any trouble seeing it, it will be in your email inbox.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Good night!

And you, take care!