Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My cat started breathing hard with her mouth opened this

Customer Question

hey my cat started breathing hard with her mouth opened this morning at she didnt eat or drink water since yesterday afternoon when i try to give her some food to smell or to drink water from a syringe she tries to vomit
JA: I'll do all I can to help. A lack of appetite can seem worrying. Does the cat also seem more tired than usual?
Customer: yes, she is barely moving from a place to other. She doesn't doesn't look at my when I call her by her name
JA: Does the cat seem to be in any pain?
Customer: it looks like it hurts her when she is breathing her chest Is moving and I have counted over 70 breaths per minute the vet came in today and he told she might have caught a cold, her body temperature is over 35-36
JA: What's the cat's name?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** is a brittish shorthair she will be 10 years old this summer
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Fumi?
Customer: I'm not really sure, I didn't tell him yet that she didn't eat since yesterday. I am very scared to lose herCustomer: Chat is completed
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 20 days ago.

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.

I'm very sorry to hear Fumi has developed this issue.

Unfortunately, open mouth breathing in cats is a red flag. It tells us they cannot get enough oxygen and is a true emergency. Breathing faster than 30 times a minute is too fast.

As she is also lethargic and off her food, she is likely feeling very unsettled and may be dehydrated.

To stress the seriousness of what is going on, I need to tell you that she is at real risk of passing away if not seen by a vet immediately. She needs oxygen and medicine to help her breathe. This cannot be delayed.

Possible causes for her signs would include heart disease, fluid on the lungs, an infection, asthma etc.

Once stable, the vet will run some tests such as a chest x-ray to determine what specific treatment she would benefit from.

If you need to the details for your nearest open vet, please send me your postcode.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
sadly I'm not in the UK at the moment, the vet had seen her today and he gave her 3 injections. He said if things don't get better until tomorrow, I should call him and he will try something else. I really hope that there will be something to save Fumi, this never happened to her before and I'm really scared to lose her.

Is there any option to have Fumi seen at another clinic, perhaps a referral centre or university?

This is not something I would advise waiting on as it is important Fumi gets oxygen and that we diagnose what is going on.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
it is 1 am at the moment here, im really scared i don't have an option until tomorrow morning.
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
is there anything to improve the situation until tomorrow morning?

Unfortunately we are very limited at home so the best thing is to seek veterinary assistance as soon as you can.

You need to minimise stress by allowing her to rest in a cool, dark room.

Ensure the air is well ventilated and free of any dust, smoke or cooking fumes.

Offer warm and tempting food such as chicken but do not force feed her.

Give her space and try to minimise handling.

I'm so sorry that she is so unwell and you are in this position.

I do hope this helps and please feel free to check back in and to keep me updated,

Sending Fumi all the very best.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
thank your for the help, i've contacted the vet to come tomorrow as soon as he can and check on her. Is the room temperature good for her? she tried to rest at the balcony. I can take her there again, but the temperature outside is over 12-14 degrees Celsius.

As long as it isn't too cold or too hot, it is fine. I would allow her to rest where she chooses and feels comfortable.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
thank you, ***** ***** call the vet but i dont know if vets are fine with doing the work at this time.

I would call as it is a true emergency and, if they can help her, they will.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Fumi is feeling better now, thank you for the help She started meowing a lot and eating as usual.
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 17 days ago.
I'm glad to hear she has improved, that's excellent.If she hasn't seen a vet, I would urge a check up as it may be she had e.g. an asthma attack so it would be good to have her checked over.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
she had, the vet came in that morning. She got a few injections and a dropper which he said it replaced the food and the water supply.
Ok, excellent. Thanks so much for keeping me in the loop.