Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

Last weekend my cat ( almost 14 years old ) developed a dry

Last weekend my cat ( almost 14 years old ) developed a dry heave/ cough , usually about 20 or so minutes after eating.Always dry , never sick or bile or froth. Three days later , he WAS sick and has been considerably better since only having this dry heave about once a day ( that i know of ) He has never gone off his food and drink and is still active and alert and goes around the garden in his normal way.
JA: A lack of appetite can seem worrying. The Expert will know how to help. Does the cat seem to be in any pain?
Customer: there was no lack of appetite and there is no abdominal swelling and as i say he is quite active. however he has developed a ,nasally congestion type noise when breathing/purring...not all the time but mostly.
JA: What's the cat's name?
Customer: Jack
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: i dont think so , i have tried to give you all the symptoms and all that I know has occurred.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear Jack has developed these issues and appreciate your concern.When he was sick, did you notice anything indigestible such as a fur ball?When he is resting, is his breathing rate 30 breaths a minute or less?
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Unfortunately , I wasnt around when he was sick and my partner cleaned it up , so i cannot say about the fur ball. i had read about this on the internet and was hoping that was all that the problem would be and hopefully being sick has brought it up because he has seemed better since. The noisy breathing is more concerning for me now but I havent measured his breathing rate.
I understand.I agree the noisy breathing is a concern. If he did have a hair ball, we would expect no further signs after bringing it up.Given his age, I do think a vet visit is best. We would want to check for e.g. asthma, heart disease or a lung infection.The vet will listen to his heart and lungs and may run some tests such as a chest xray.Treatment will depend on what is going on and may include e.g antibiotics and anti inflammatories.Ensure he is up to date with his lungworm prevention (Profender is one example) and that the air is well ventilated and free of dust and smoke.If his breathing rate is faster than 30 breaths a minute, he should be seen urgently. Otherwise, I would book him in over the next day or two.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
thank you..i will heed your advice
If there is anything else, please just let me know.Take care,Linda.