Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My cat behaviour is strange after moving houses. He is calm

Hi. My cat behaviour is strange after moving houses. He is calm one moment and in a second he acts as is something bit him. Jumps up and starts licking and nibbling his skin/fur. We checked and found no fleas. So not sure what is causing this.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I think that's it
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
Thank you for your question.What age is he?
Is his skin red or scabby?
When was he last treated for fleas and mites and with what product?
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
He is 4 years old. His skin looks normal. He is an outdoor cat so we did not treat him for fleas and mites for 6months. We combed his fur. No signs of fleas.
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Sorry, meant to say he is an indoor cat
Thank you for this additional information.His signs are consistent with fleas and interestingly, we don't always see them when combing the fur. This is because cats are experts at grooming themselves and tend to eat any fleas.As not recently treated, it would be sensible to go ahead and use a spot on such as Advocate or Advantage.As he is in a new home, it may be that the previous cat occupant had fleas. I would hot wash all bedding, hoover daily and use a flea spray such as Indorex.If the issue persists, a vet visit is best as he may have an allergy to e.g. dust mites or pollen ,or something else such as impacted anal glands or abdominal cramps.
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Ok. Thank you. We will get the treatment and observe. Trying to book a vet visit at our usual clinic as well just in case. Thank you again.
Sounds very sensible!If there is anything else, please just let me know.Take care,Linda.