Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My cat has licked two of her nipples while grooming and then

Hi! My cat has licked two of her nipples while grooming and then the skin bleeds from the irritation of her tongue, and then she continues to lick the area because it hurts, which in turn makes more bleeding. Normally, I just put her cone on and wait for it to heal. However, this time there are these white bumps and the skin looks extremely irritated on top of the bleeding caused by the licking. Should I be concerned or just put the cone back on and wait for the sores to heal?
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. How much did the cat lick? Do you know her weight?
Customer: She continues to lick the sores every few days, not letting them heal. She currently weighs about 11 pounds, and she is on a diet to lose weight
JA: Has she thrown up since this happened?
Customer: Nope
JA: What's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she's 7
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Mai?
Customer: She has been diagnosed with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and is on clopidogrel

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.

I'm sorry to hear Mai has this issue.

Could you please send a clear photo of the affected skin?

Is she spayed (neutered)?

Does she go outside?

When was she last treated for parasites and which product was used?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Hi, thank you so much for your help! I will take a picture and send it, it will just take a minute.She is spayed, she is indoor only, and I gave her Bravecto Flea and Tick Treatment for Cats about 3 months ago, but I've never given her meds for internal parasites

Thank you for this additional information.

Does she live with any other cats?

Is she an anxious girl?

Once the photo comes through I will let you know.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
It's just her, and she's very relaxed

Ok, great, thank you.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
The white bumps have scabbed over now, so it could have just been skin?

Thank you that photo has come through now, I am just typing my reply.

Typically a cat will lick and overgroom this area because they are itchy. Itchiness of the ventral abdomen can be associated with parasites (less likely in her case), stress (again, this tends to be in anxious cats so unlikely) , allergies or an infection.

Allergies typically present between the age of 1-6 and can be to a range of things including food, grass, dust mites etc.

Cats can develop fungal infections (such as ringworm) or bacterial infections. While we can never tell from a photo alone, I would be a little suspicious that this may be a fungal infection given the crusting and darker ring on the outside.

As she has licked fur off and the skin is pink and thickened, there is certainly an issue.

Putting a cone on protects the skin but doesn't address the underlying issue.

A vet visit is best so we can examine Mai. The vet may take a sample to check for an infection. Treatment will depend on what is going on. For example, she may need some anti itch medicine to break the itch scratch cycle as well as some anti-fungals.

At home, I would bathe the area using Chlorhexidine. This can be bought from any chemist. Dilute it 1:10 with warm water and apply with cotton wool. Leave on for 5 minutes and then gently rinse with wet cotton wool. Do this daily for 5 days. This should help reduce bacteria and fungal levels and can reduce itch a little.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Ok I'll call a vet and make an appointment. The one I normally go to is very far and it's hard to get her there, so I thought I'd check that it couldn't just be fixed at home. My old vet gave me hibiscrub to dilute and wash with but didn't check for infection.Thank you very much for your help!

Not at all, happy to help.

Take care!

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thank you, ***** *****!