Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

Beautiful name by the way, Dog, 15 - 16 years old, German

Hi Pearl, beautiful name by the way I'm Cristian
JA: Hi there. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Dog, 15 - 16 years old, German Shepherd metis
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about Dog's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: yard dog so only knew doghouse
JA: When did Dog last see a vet? Are they taking any medications?
Customer: her hind legs started to give up on her several days ago; majorly, to the point si needs to be picked up for her business; occasionally she's moving from one dog house to another ( I have 2 dogs ) by herself, during night. se is on GlykoFlex stage 3 + vitamin B complex injectable
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Dog?
Customer: also injectable Prednison anti-inflamatory
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
all I'm after is a second opinion on what else can be tried to put her back on her feet; she being in Romania, I'm thinking there could be some new or different drugs that can be accessed right here in the UK only to be sent over there and make a difference
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear she is at this stage.In the UK, it would be uncommon to use steroids for arthritis management. More often, we use non steroidal anti inflammatories such as Meloxicam as well as opioids, Gabapentin, Amantadine and Paracetamol.
Most dogs would be on a combination of these medicines.
We would also advise interventions such as acupuncture, massage, hydrotherapy, physiotherapy etc.
The joint supplements she is on will help to some extent and we can also feed a joint supportive diet.Given her breed, she should be assessed for Degenerative Myelopathy. The vet can easily check for this by assessing her nerve function and proprioception.I do hope this helps.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you, Linda; will pass this info on to my vet in Romania; maybe just maybe; would you be able to recommend a charity that would be able to relocate the dog for me from Romania to UK?
I'm personally not aware of any specific Charities but you can discuss with your local vet.However, in my opinion, at this age, relocating to another country would not be advisable. This is especially true given his medical needs. The journey and settling in period would likely be too difficult for him to cope with.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
all I wanted to know cos like you said, given her age and state, pretty much everything is holding on a thread; \i really want to thank you taking the time and providing me with your best advice giving the situation; thank you and take care
Not at all and take care.This window remains open and you can check in at any time.Stay safe,Linda