Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Hes shitting out just pure blood and hes being sick allot

Customer Question

Hes shitting out just pure blood and hes being sick allot everywhere
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Dog
JA: When did you notice there was blood in the dog's stool? Does he seem more or less thirsty than normal?
Customer: Less
JA: Did the dog eat anything unusual recently?
Customer: Yeah today i fount out about blood its quite bad and no only dog food that i know of
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: Boe and 8
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: No hes sick is white and yellow hes doing it constantly too
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 19 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Poor Boe! Signs like this make us wary of an infectious gastroenteritis (ie hemorrhagic gastroenteritis, Salmonella, Campylobacter, parvo, etc), or parasite infections (coccidia, Giardia, etc). Now if he is passing a lot of blood or cannot keep even water down, he is best seen urgently. (Vets in our country have to provide out of hours care, so if they do not have Sat. morning surgery you can still ring to reach their out of hours support).

Any delay on that and we can try some steps at home. To counter nausea/vomiting, consider trying an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (0.25-0.5 mg per pound every 12-24 hours),Omeprazole (0.25 to 0.5 mg per pound every 24 hours), Esomeprazole (0.25-0.75 mg per pound once daily)].. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if he cannot keep it down, that is a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from a local/ER vet.

After we can try him with a light/easily digestible diet (Eg rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs, cottage cheese, meat baby food as long as its free of garlic/onion). There are also veterinary diets that can be used(ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). The easily digestible diet will be better tolerated and absorbed by the compromised gut and should get some nutrients in. Fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) can be added to these meals to firm those loose stools quicker and support digestion. And those are quite useful since we cannot use anti-diarrheals with those hemorrhagic concerns (as those viral and bacterial agents cannot be allowed to linger in the gut as they can damage it further).

Overall, I do share your concern about your lad. As long as those gums are pink and that belly is comfortable; we can use the above until your vet sees him. Once they are, it would be best for him to have a check with them. If possible, do bring a fresh stool sample so they can see what is passing +/- test it if need be. Depending on their findings, we'd want them to start fluids, antibiotics +/- gastroprotectants if needed to settle this and get him feeling better.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Its hard to understand all that is there anyone i can call because yeah my local vets is closed today ive tried loads numbers all cutting off? I really appreciate your help im just not sure how help him without vet
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I do it through universal no £16 in my account either rn
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 19 days ago.

Hi again,

Well if you cannot reach your vet, then use the above steps I outlined (Antacid then light diet +/- fiber to reduce stools safely).

Otherwise, if you want to keep trying locally, check via the RCVS Register (http://findavet.rcvs.org.uk/find-a-vet/) or Vets Now (http://www.vets-now.com/find-an-emergency-vet/) who are open all nights/weekends. In any case, if you wanted to get this checked out sooner then there are options to do so.

-Dr. B.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I cant see anyone ive tried so many places only monday to friday im really worried about bleeding
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 19 days ago.

Hi again,

I share your concern but legally they have to see him, they cannot refuse out of hours care. It may mean your nearest ER (eg Vets now) but legally in the UK he can be seen now if needed. So, you can ring them back and politely remind them that there is a duty of care to do so.

All the best there,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
No vets close can see him ive tried everywhere either monday to friday or call failed
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 19 days ago.

I appreciate that you said but ring them back and ask about "duty of care" OR check the above links as you may need to make a longer drive to get him seen by an open vet or ER vet. Vets now will see anyone right now if you get him there.

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Hes laying down now eyes rolling back and hes breathing is bad
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 19 days ago.

Again I appreciate that you said but ring them back and ask about "duty of care" OR check the above links as you may need to make a longer drive to get him seen by an open vet or ER vet. Vets now will see anyone right now if you get him there. And it sounds like you need to do this to help him now.

Dr. B.