Susan MRCVS
Susan MRCVS,
Experience:  Expert
112619934

My budgie Bluey is 7 months old and lives with his brother

Customer Question

My budgie Bluey is 7 months old and lives with his brother who is also 7 months old - same batch. I have had them since they were3 months old, Bluey has always had this problem but Sunny my other budgie has had no problems.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the budgie's situation?
Customer: Bluey has an eye problem, left eye only. He develops a brownish color around the eye and is frequently scratching and rubbing this eye. I have taken him to a vet 3 times now and he has been given eye drops and cream but his eye does not improve.
JA: The Expert will be able to help with the budgie's eyesight. What's the budgie's name?
Customer: Bluey
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: I don't think so, the vet will tell me if he needs more information
Expert:  Susan MRCVS replied 17 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I'm a vet in the UK. Can you  send a picture of Buey's eye.

Can you describe how you house, exercise and feed the budgies.

I'm wondering if there is an underlying cause of Bluey's problems as I'd expect a simple bacterial conjunctivitis to have cleared up on the treatment you described. Did you manage to apply the eye medication? I know budgies can be really difficult when they want to be!

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
They have a large cage on wheels - 3 tier and I leave their cage door open day and night so they can fly around the bungalow. However they do appear to be happier in their cage. I have no other pets that may upset them. They are still young 7 months old and Bluey is the more confident. They are both happy for me to put my hand in their cage. I have started training them. However I have been admitted to hospital on 2 occasions which has put a temporary halt to their training. I am hoping to continue but I worry about Bluey's eye.i have a friend who is more able to handle Bluey. I have problems with my hands which makes it difficult and Bluey knows this so my friend has stepped in and looked after him for a week whilst administering drops and cream. Unfortunately he is no better and constantly scratching and rubbing hi left eye.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Can you leave it until Tuesday as I have family over at the moment and on Monday I have a hospital appointment but I am free to talk from Tuesday on, just indicate when and I will be ready for you. Thankyou. Sue Jones

Of course take care of yourself.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
If you can offer me some help and advice I would appreciate it. Thank you
Expert:  Susan MRCVS replied 16 days ago.

Do you want a phone call from an expert or are you happy to communicate on the chat function? I'm unable to make phone calls just right now but someone else might be.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Ok
Expert:  Susan MRCVS replied 13 days ago.

Would you like to continue using the text chat function?

How is Bluey?