Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

I suspect my rat has a uri, She has been sneezing for a

Customer Question

I suspect my rat has a uri
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Can you tell me a little more about the rat's situation? How long has this been a concern?
Customer: She has been sneezing for a couple of days but last night she was lethargic and breathing heavy. Today she has more porphyrin round eyes and nose
JA: How has the rat's appetite been? Any changes in her stool?
Customer: Haven't seen her pass any stools but possible she has. She is still eating but seems to be drinking more then eating
JA: Could she have eaten something unusual?
Customer: No not to my knowledge
JA: And what's the rat's name and age?
Customer: Luna. Shes around 2 months old
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: No
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 11 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear Luna has this issue.While there are other possibilities here (such as an allergy or heart disease) I agree a URI is likely. These are very common at this age.It is very important she is started on the appropriate medicine ASAP. This will likely be prescription antibiotics and anti inflammatories. These do need to be given after she has been checked and weighed by a vet in person.At home, ensure the air is well ventilated and free of dust and smoke and cooking fumes.Try to tempt Luna to eat, offering her favourite foods. You can even offer baby puree if she won't eat her normal favourites.

I'm just checking in to ensure this is all OK?