Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 48 years of experience.
55012488

I have a bantam chicken with what I thought was an injury to

Customer Question

Hi, I have a bantam chicken with what I thought was an injury to her comb. Two weeks later and it is worse. her comb is swollen and she has awful sores on her face. I have been to my vet twice and had three lots of antibiotics but basically they haven't got a clue. Is there anything else I can do for her?
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Has the chicken been licking or rubbing the sores?
Customer: She was scratching it and now shaking her head. I have treated her for mites
JA: What's the chicken's name?
Customer: She doesn't have one :(
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: In the last few days her waffles and face are puffy although she is still eating well. It seems to be spreading to her face. I have pictures if that heps.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 14 days ago.

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

I would like to see the pics, please. You can upload photos by texting them, or by using the paperclip or add file icons above your message box...if you can see those icons on your device. You can also use an external app such as dropbox or navigate to justanswer.com/help/using-justanswer and scroll down to "other".

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thanks I will send three. First was two weeks ago the second five days ago and the third is today. I will text them…
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Here is the first one
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
The second.

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
today

The excellent photos reveal the characteristic lesions of avian poxvirus - the "dry" form which is rarely lethal and goes into remission within a few weeks unaided. The skin lesions might be addressed twice daily with an antimicrobial product such as over the counter chlorhexidine solution such as Hibiclens (or generics) found in your local drug store but most important is flying insect control - mosquitoes are the primary vector. This is a very slowly contagious infection and so if you have sizeable flock, vaccinating unaffected chickens is reasonable.Your local poultry extension office can tell you if that vaccine is used where you live.

Please respond with additional questions and concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you. I had a suspicion after googling but of course I am not a vet. Much appreciated.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow up in this venue and so please return to our conversation with an update at your convenience.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hello I have had a call from the avian vet who says from the photos that he doesn’t think it is fowl pox but an injury that is infected. I am taking the bird to another vet tomorrow for a second opinion but really not sure what to do now. I know this is an impossible question not how sure are you that this is fowlpox? Also I have hibiscrib now so o assume I just wash the would in a diluted version? Many thanks
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 12 days ago.

That's certainly a reasonable differential.  Please note, too, that one disorder doesn't preclude the other; in other words, a poxvirus sufferer might be cannabilized by another bird.  I circled the lesion that placed poxvirus higher on my differential diagnosis list.  See photo

Yes, the diluted Hibiscrub should suffice.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.

You're quite welcome.