Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 48 years of experience.
55012488

My dog is limping, No I’ve checked It started this morning

Customer Question

Hi my dog is limping
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Does anything look different with the dog's legs/feet? When did this start?
Customer: No I’ve checked
Customer: It started this morning after a walk
JA: Anything else you want the Veterinarian to know before I connect you?
JA: Anything else you want the Veterinarian to know before I connect you?
Customer: he suffers from epilepsy and is the n medication
JA: OK. I'm sending you to a secure page to join JustAnswer. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Expert about your situation and then connect you two.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 14 days ago.

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

As you might imagine, assessing the extent of injury from afar is a fool's errand for me. How old and which breed is your dog, please?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Labrador 3 years old.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Running after a ball

Please clarify, he ran after a ball and began limping? Which leg(s) is lame, please?

I regret that my veterinary board of examiners doesn't allow me to use the phone in this venue. Please post "yes" or "no" to let me know if you would like me to opt-out of this conversation for another expert who can phone you. I won't be able to return here nor respond to you.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
This happened last year and he was prescribed meloxicam
Customer: replied 14 days ago.

I regret that vets aren't allowed to prescribe through this venue. As for over the counter analgesia, caretakers are constrained to aspirin (Bayer, generics) dosed at 10 mg per pound of bodyweight with food at 12-hour intervals or acetaminophen (Tylenol, generics) which can be dosed at 7 mg per pound of bodyweight thrice daily but isn’t anti-inflammatory as is aspirin. You can give aspirin and acetaminophen concurrently which should provide better analgesia than either drug alone. When giving acetaminophen for longer than 5 consecutive days it's best to reduce the dose to 5 mg per pound of bodyweight twice daily. You must avoid the toxic ibuprofen and naproxen in dogs.

I'll take care of this for you. I won't be able to return here nor respond to you.

Expert:  AlinaK-admin replied 13 days ago.
It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Alina-Moderator
Expert:  AlinaK-admin replied 11 days ago.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Alina-Moderator
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Close please