Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My female cat was spayed 2 days ago and I can now see what

Customer Question

My female cat was spayed 2 days ago and I can now see what looks like discharge coming from her vaginal opening
JA: The Expert will know how to help with the discharge. Does the cat ever go outside? Is she taking any medications?
Customer: She is a house cat and not on any meds
JA: What's the cat's name?
Customer: Moonshine
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: Not that I can think of
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I would like my money back please as nobody has had the decency to get back to me and I've sought advice from elsewhere now
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 17 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I do apologise you have been waiting.
Vets become available at different times and I believe it has been very busy this evening.
I have come online now and have just seen your message; do you still require assistance?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I was told the estimated waiting time was 8 minutes 2 hours ago, I'm not very happy about that, I appreciate if it's been busy but the waiting time shouldn't be so misleadingI think I may have been overly cautious as the discharge seems to have cleared up now so I was going to contact my own vet tomorrow
I'm very sorry about this and understand how important it is to get timely advice when concerned.I've been working for this site for a few years now and it is actually unusual to be waiting as long as you have been. I do apologise.I'm glad the discharge has cleared up and if she seems otherwise well, this is reassuring. I would want to check her gums are pink and wet, she is alert and eating and the wound is clean and dry with no swelling.We should ensure she is not licking at her back end.A small amount if discharge can be normal after the surgery and isn't necessarily a concern. However, if the discharge is foul smelling or pus-like this could indicate an infection. Typically in these cases, cats would be unwell and have a fever.I agree a vet visit tomorrow is very sensible.This window remains open and you can check in over the course if tonight if concerned and also update me after your appointment if you have anh further questions.I do hope this helps and sending Moonshine all the best for a speedy recovery.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thanks for your reassurance, I have checked her gums as best I can and they seem pink but can't be sure if they are wet however she is eating and drinking normally and other than being much quieter she seems her usual self, the discharge doesn't smell in any way
Ok, that is all very reassuring.If eating and drinking and she does not have vomiting or diarrhoea, dehydration is unlikely so I wouldn't worry about her gums.It wouldn't be unusual for cats to be quieter at this stage after the procedure.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Her toilet habits are normal and she hasn't done anything outside of her litter tray, I also can't see her 2nd eyelids either.I've checked again and there does seem to be a little bit of discharge but it seems normal and isn't smelly
It may well be due to inflammation.I would monitor closely and keep that appointment for tomorrow but would be optimistic this is nothing to be too concerned over.As I say, if anything changes you are welcome to check back in.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thank you I will do