Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

I have a 4 year-ish old guinea pig and since Wednesday she’s

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 4 year-ish old guinea pig and since Wednesday she’s declined quite rapidly. She has a large lump under her chin and isn’t eating anything. She’s drinking with help. She last had a tiny bit of lettuce yesterday. Her breathing is quite laboured and she’s just exhausted. I wonder if I could get some advice
JA: Hi there. A lack of appetite can seem worrying. The Expert will know how to help. Does the guinea pig seem to be in any pain?
Customer: no she’s not squealing
JA: What's the guinea pig's name and age?
Customer: Sheena and is about 4
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: I don’t think so Her eyes are quite watery and half awake
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hello. I just wonder how much longer it’ll be? It’s said 8 mins for an hour
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 12 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear Sheena has this issue.A lump in this region could be due to a dental problem and/or bacterial abscess. It is also possible that it is a tumour.Her lack of appetite and lethargy are big red flags and she may be close to passing away. She needs immediate vet care. She may require fluids and supplemental feeding as well as medicine such as antibiotics and pain relief. The sooner these are stayed the better.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi Linda. Thanks. She’s been worse today definitely. Do you think it can wait til tomorrow morning ? I don’t know if surgeries are open just now ?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Do you suggest I phone an out of hours number ?
Absolutely, yes, I would phone out of hours.If you need the details for your nearest option, please send on your postcode.

I do hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions.