Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Ate a peach stone, Dog shitzu, molly 11, no

Customer Question

Ate a peach stone
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Dog shitzu
JA: The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: molly 11
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 18 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Molly ingested a peach stone, and I can understand that you are concerned about this.

1. How long ago was this?

2. How is she behaving now?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Approximately 3 hours ago. Just picking her lips a lot
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Licking!
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
She has actually settled now and gone to sleep
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 18 days ago.

Thanks. Lip licking in this case is very likely indicative of nausea and possibly some reflux. I suspect that her body is trying to push the pit out of her stomach into her intestines as the stomach generally empties its contents within 2-3 hours of eating something. In some cases this may cause a partial obstruction if the pit is too big to get through the gastroduodenal opening. That can lead to reflux. If the pit slips out of position and no longer blocks the opening then she may feel better for a bit. Typing more...

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 18 days ago.

But given her small size it would be difficult for the pit to make its way all the way through her intestinal tract without getting stuck. Ideally I'd have her seen on an urgent basis to induce vomiting if the pit is still in her stomach. If it has moved out of her stomach she may end up with an obstruction and require surgery.

Many people worry about peach pits containing cyanide, but that is not really a concern. If she never cracked the pit open then she won't be exposed at all, and the amount in one pit is small enough we wouldn't consider it enough to be toxic. If she chewed up and ingested the contents of several pits then that may be a concern in a very small dog.

If she seems fine now and you want to take a watch and see approach, then signs that things aren't going well, and she needs an immediate veterinary visit, are vomiting (especially green tinged), a tense painful belly, lack of an appetite, a fever (more than 103.5F rectally) and lethargy. It is possible this won't pass, and you should check every stool for the pit. It has been my pleasure to help you today. You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thank you. I think she managed to chew through it as there were remnants left on the floor. She seems fine now and I’m comforted to now that it’s unlikely to poison her. Will keep a close eye. Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 18 days ago.

Glad to help, please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns about her later.