How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Susan MRCVS Your Own Question
Susan MRCVS
Susan MRCVS,
Category: Vet
Satisfied Customers: 21
Experience:  Expert
112619934
Type Your Vet Question Here...
Susan MRCVS is online now

MY DOG HAS EATEN CHOCOLATE, SHE ISABOUT 28 LBS. SHE ATE ONE

Customer Question

MY DOG HAS EATEN CHOCOLATE
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What size is the dog? How much of the chocolate was eaten?
Customer: SHE ISABOUT 28 LBS. SHE ATE ONE TWIX BAR.
JA: When was this? Has she thrown up since then?
Customer: 10 MINUTES AGO. NO SYMPTOMS YET
JA: And what's the dog's name and age?
Customer: MAISIE. 1 YR
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: NO
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Vet
Expert:  Susan MRCVS replied 16 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I’m a veterinary surgeon in the UK. I will try and help you as best I can.

Expert:  Susan MRCVS replied 16 days ago.

Do you happen to know the weight of the twix bar (it should be on the packet)

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
she ate 1x 25 gm biscuit covered in chocolate
Expert:  Susan MRCVS replied 16 days ago.

28lbs is 12kg

Toxic dose theobromine from 100mg/kg

So 1200mg for your dog would cause symptoms.

Milk chocolate contains 2.4mg/g

If a twixbar is 25g milk chocolate it won’t contain enough to cause toxicity. A twix is part biscuit part caramel and only a little chocolate.  However individuals have different susceptibility. You may well find your dog has an upset tummy after 24 hours and I’d recommend you ask your vet for treatment.

It would be preferable to ring your vets out of hours to check they don’t want to see your dig tonight. If they were to recommend treatment it would need to be given within 5 hours of ingestion for chocolate, ideally within 2 hours.

at this time I’m unable to make a phone call. I’ll leave and open it up for other experts

Expert:  Susan MRCVS replied 16 days ago.

We would expect symptoms of an upset tummy after 20mg/kg methyxanthines. I’m expecting a twix to have less than 30g methylxanthines in it.
If your dog has a medical history that might affect his ability to process chocolate, for example pancreatitis or liver disease please ring your vets out of hours service and check.

Take care.

Expert:  Susan MRCVS replied 15 days ago.

How is Maisie today?