Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

He is a cat acting strange. Standing in corners and weeing

Hi he is a cat acting strange. Standing in corners and weeing outside the litter box. Balance seems to be off. Lethargic. Had a vets consultation last week and full bloods no apparent issues ? Nothing came up ? Then tonight I dipped his urine when he weed outside the litter box and his urine is infected showing protein blood and lucazites ? As in humans with a uti I am presuming he needs anti biotics ? I have human flucloxicillin is it safe for cats ? As I do not have the money for an out of hours vet ?? Please advise
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. How has the cat's appetite been? Any changes in his stool?
Customer: hes still eating but seems disorientated so have to coax with the bowl. Great appetite. Stool is normal.
JA: Could he have eaten something unusual?
Customer: No this has gone on for a few weeks now He got checked for all that at the vets but I paid out 450 pound and have no money left to take him again. They didn’t do a urine test. Just bloods all came back within normal range
JA: What's the cat's name?
Customer: Mr Bibbs
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: hes older approx 14 upwards, he was a street cat and we took him in approx 4 years ago. He’s been fine until now. He does have overactive thyroid and is on meds for that and they said his blood pressure was slightly high so have him some tablets for that he maybe didn’t have either as he had these symptoms when they gave him the tablets and he’s no better
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear Mr Bibbs has been unwell.Unfortunately, urine dipsticks are not very reliable in cats (though can be of some use). The leukocyte strip isn't used as it is inaccurate. Protein is normal in cat urine as it is so concentration.If there is truly blood in the urine, this is noteworthy and is a concern.Blood in the urine can be due to an infection but also due to bladder stones, kidney disease or bladder cancer.While he had a normal blood test, his signs are indicative of a health issue and it is important we run further tests such as abdominal imaging, a urine culture and perhaps a brain scan (if affordable).I would not give the antibiotics you have as they are likely not appropriate. He may not have a urine infection and this is not the antibiotic we would typically use.I would have him seen by his vet tomorrow morning. I appreciate cost is a concern but he is too unwell to treat at home and it is important we start the right treatment.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you very much for your answer. I will take him to the vets tomorrow. I hope it is his urine because they ran full testing of all his bloods and did a full examination of him and deemed he was fine
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I know they can’t see inside so maybe it’s worth getting the extra tests
Absolutely. While bloods can be a very useful screening test, unfortunately there are many conditions they cannot pick up.