Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My cat,, has been to the vet not too ago and they said that

Hello! My cat, Thomas, has been to the vet not too long ago and they said that he was in perfect health for a very old cat (we are completely unaware of how old he really is as he has very few teeth). However this morning he threw up bright red blood. It was purely blood rather than specks of it in his vomit and I’m unsure of what my next steps should be. He isn’t lethargic or showing any sort of symptoms he’s acting as he normally would. What is your advice? Thank you so much.
JA: Hi there. I'm so sorry the cat isn't feeling well, but those details will be very helpful for the Expert. Could he have eaten anything unusual?
Customer: Well he had a chicken thigh yesterday that may have had a small bone in which could be the cause I think, and he is often out in the garden so he may have picked something up there but this is very unusual for him and just wanted to check
JA: What's the cat's name and age?
Customer: Thomas, we don’t know how old he is but he’s definitely over 10.
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: I don’t think so. The last vet to see him around April/May ran a blood test and said he was in perfect health if that is helpful at all
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear Thomas has done this and appreciate your concern.Possible causes would include an infection, gastric ulcer or tear in the foodpipe.A vet visit is important so we can examine him an they may wish to run some tests such as a blood test and imaging.He may well require some medicine such as antibiotics and ant acids.At home, feed a bland diet of chicken and rice offer plenty of water.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Okay. Thank you so much I will be sure to take him in.
Wishing him all the very best.This window stays open for several days so you can keep me updated.