Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My guinea pigs back leg isn't working, she's holding it up

Customer Question

My guinea pigs back leg isn't working, she's holding it up and finding it hard to move about. She is pooing and weeing were she is lying now.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Does anything look different with the guinea pig's legs/feet? When did this start?
Customer: It started yesterday morning but now she isn't moving at all. She's just holding it up, it doesn't look swollen
JA: And what's the guinea pig's name and age?
Customer: She's called tulip and she's roughly about 8 months
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Tulip?
Customer: No
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 17 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear Tulip has this problem.Are there any visible wounds or does it seem red?
Has she been licking or chewing it?
Has she potentially had a fight with another guinea pig or fallen from a height?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
No she's been on her own for the last week, I put her a cats litter tray in the day before for her hay, she was moving about yesterday abit more than today and now she's morning like it's hurting her every now and again
I am personally unable to make calls but am happy to continue talking via typing if that's OK.I would wonder if she fell off the lip of the tray as she wasn't used to is.Typically, a muscle strain would improve quickly after rest so I would be concerned she may have a fracture or dislocation, which wouldn't be uncommon in these little guys.A vet visit is best and they should be able to provide information fron a simple exam. If unsure or concerned, they may advise a quick xray.She may well benefit from medicine such as anti inflammatories and pain relief.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions.