Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

I have a guinea pig that caughed/sneezed a few times

Hi, I have a guinea pig that caughed/sneezed a few times recently. She did it last night three times in a span of 30 minutes, she was alternating drinking and nuggets at the time. Now she did it twice, two minutes apart while chilling on my lap. Should I be worried?
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Has the guinea pig been eating and drinking normally? Have you taken her temperature?
Customer: She eats and drinks normally. I have no idea how to check her temperature
JA: In addition to the congestion, has the guinea pig been licking or scratching her skin?
Customer: Not more than usual self cleaning
JA: What's the guinea pig's name and age?
Customer: Cookie, 6 months
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Cookie?
Customer: No, apart from the coughs she behaves and looks as usual, although we only have her for 4 mths and she and her sister are our first guinea pigs
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
There are a few possibilities here including an allergy, viral infection or bacterial infection.Ensure the air is well ventilated and free of dust, smoke and cooking fumes. Consider if you have changed the hay or bedding and if it is dusty.Monitor closely for signs such as a reduced appetite, decreased activity, fast or noisy breathing or a continued cough.If concerned, a vet visit is best so she can have her chest listened to as well as a general exam. If an infection is suspected, she will likely be started on some antibiotics and anti inflammatories. The sooner this is done the better.

I do hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions.