Dr. Gwen
Dr. Gwen, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 22 years experience in emergency medicine, zoo, exotic, and wildlife medicine.
21470562

Would you be interested in giving some information and story

Hello again. Would you be interested in giving some information and story work for hyenas. let me know and I will send the details.

Hello again, yes, I am happy to answer any questions about hyenas.  Is there a particular species you are interested in, (spotted, brown, etc)?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
We will work with the spotted hyenas. Our Character is driving back to his home throu an area were the hyenas live . He gets a flat tyre. Due to lean times food for the hyenas has been scarce. While trying to change the wheel this is when the hyenas attack. How will they attack him.

Hyenas are pack animals, so they would attack in a group with the first one charging in to grab the prey.  They do not employ any specific means to kill their prey and rather drag it along the ground and rip pieces off, eating it alive.  Many times they will create an abdominal wound and disembowel prey, which lacerates large vessels and leads to a rapid death by exsanguination.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
they range in pack size from 5 to 20 or more. If this pack was of 10 . Once the guy had succum to the initial attack how and where would they start to feed.

A pack of 10 hyenas would make short work of the body and all would come in to feed at the same time.  There wouldn't be any particular place they would start - each would come in, surrounding the body and ripping off pieces.  Once down to the skeletal structure, they may each grab a section and run off to chew and ingest.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Wow. What about what he is wearing. Would they eat around it.

They would preferentially eat the flesh but if the clothes were ripped off with a bite they would consume it as well.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
If the guy small denim shorts came off in one bit would one Buena be able too consume all of them.

Yes, a large adult hyena could do that.  They have the ability to swallow large pieces of material.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Interesting. If the Buena that managed to get the shorts also managed to get all of the guys manhood etc . would it swallow that down whole with or without the shorts.

Yes.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thanks. What all of that meal would the Buena be able too digest.

Hyenas have very strong stomach acid - strong enough to digest bones - so would digest the cloth material and the soft tissues.  It would unlikely dissolve the metal pieces from the clothing and these would pass through the GI tract and out with fecal material.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Once again thanks for the great information.

My pleasure.