Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My dog is pregnant I've been told she's due first or second

My dog is pregnant I've been told she's due first or second week of July. She has a skin problem and I'm worried about her. Vet was not very helpful
JA: I'll do all I can to help. We need to be extra careful with pregnancies, so we'll need to connect you with the Veterinarian ASAP. Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: She is 7 years old
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Worried about her skin as we can't give her any medication
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.Some medicine is safe to give during pregnancy and it is important we keep her comfortable and prevent things from worsening.Is she on any medicine?What does the vet think the primary skin issue is?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Shes had blood tests which came back as allergy to mites. She nibbles and licks her skin.she was on streiods and antibiotics plus malaseb shampoo. I've been told to not to give her anything all they said was good luck .
Steroids are contra-indicated in pregnancy as they could cause a premature labour so it is absolutely these must be stopped.As we know what she's allergic to, I would make extra effort to reduce mites in the home and her surroundings by e.g. using a hypoallergenic bed, hoovering daily, hot washing blankets etc.Many antibiotics including Amoxicillin can be safely used when pregnant and if she has an infection should be prescribed.Similarly, Malaseb is safe for pregnant bitches but I would make extra effort to ensure none is ingested or licked off the coat (by rinsing thoroughly after).
Ideally, we would keep all drug use to a minimum for the safety of the pups but it is important we keep mum as comfortable as we can.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you. I've been really worried. Would you recommend going back to my vet? Or is there anything else I can buy over the counter that can help
If you feel she has an infection (very red skin, oozing, scabs, crusting, bad smell) or is uncomfortable I would certainly go back to the vet to discuss the above options.We are quite limited over the counter unfortunately. A hypoallergenic shampoo may help reduce skin yeast and bacteria, but double check it is safe during pregnancy.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
We were using rilexine tablets half time a day. Is this safe to use
Unfortunately the safe use of RILEXINE Chewable Tablets in dogs intended for breeding and in pregnant or lactating bitches has not been evaluated.
I would discuss a more suitable alternative with your vet such as Noroclav. As I say though, thus would only be if we are confident there is an active bacterial skin infection (a swab could confirm this).

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you for your help.
Not at all and stay safe.