Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

I have a 9 month old kitten and his urine was dark yellow

Customer Question

Hi - I have a 9 month old kitten and his urine was dark yellow this morning, the vet said there’s nothing wrong with him after the emergency check up - i wanted to know if it could just be from dehydration ?
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Have you noticed whether the kitten has lost or gained any weight recently?
Customer: No his weight is normal
JA: What's the kitten's name?
Customer: Asso
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: The dark yellow urine has come out his body twice once Saturday and once today
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 13 days ago.
Hello , you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.Cats have naturally very concentrated urine; much more so than dogs or humans. It tends to be dark green/ yellow.It is reassuring a vet check was all normal.The more hydrated a cat is, the more watery their urine will be. Signs of dehydration would include dry gums and lethargy. If your kitten is eating well and doesn't have diarrhoea or vomiting then dehydration is unlikely.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The vet checked and said all was okay but he was concerned with the colour of the urine (really dark yellow) and told me to bring back a urine sample
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
This is what it looked like but he wasn’t able to say much because of how “normal” my kitten was
I agree it is a bit dark but I wouldn't be overly concerned and would have the urine analysed. This will identify anything amiss (such as an infection, blood or crystals) and will allow us to determine the concentration.Offer plenty of water, mix water with food, offer wet food and monitor closely for any additional symptoms.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ah thank you, I’ve been panicking- I will be alert and will take the sample as soon as he goes - thank you
Not at all and take care!
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi - just following up this issue, there was blood found in his urine and now I have seen a tiny patch of bright red blood in his stool
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Is this something I should be very worried about ?
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 12 days ago.

Neither events are uncommon in a young kitten.

Blood in the stool can be due to e.g. parasites, a food allergy etc.

Certainly, it needs to be looked into by a vet and we should perform a stool analysis.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I’m so sorry I’m sending a picture of his stool but I just wanna make sure that I don’t have to rush him to emergency
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
This Is the second tone he’s pooping blood and I have a sample box now and have to gather his stool for 3 days
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I’m
Giving the sample in on Thursday I just want to make sure it’s not a cause for immediate concern
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 11 days ago.
This would be an emergency if he is acting unwell or has e.g. a reduced appetite, lethargy or pale gums.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
He has pale gums
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
But he is eating normally
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
He is also playing and drinking normally
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I have been instructed to get 3 days worth of stool but should I take him emergency anyway ?
If his gums are truly pale, I would bring him in now.
If unsure, you are welcome to send a photo for me to assess.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Not sure if this pale or too pale
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
He looks uncomfortable
Those gums look normal in that photo.If you feel he is uncomfortable and are concerned, a vet visit is best.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Oh okay good - he seems fine, I will keep on monitoring- thank you so much
Ok, sure!