Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

I think my frenchie has got an anal abscess, she has had one

Customer Question

I think my frenchie has got an anal abscess , she has had one before
JA: I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice this? Has the Frenchie been licking or rubbing the skin?
Customer: she can’t get to it to lick but she keeps rubbing her bottom on carpet , it looks like a brown blister
JA: And what's the Frenchie's name and age?
Customer: Dolly she will be 2 years old in September, when she was 3 months old she had a rectum prolapse which kept recurring,so I worry in case it occurs again
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: no , not that I can think of , she does rub her bottom on something quite often and I try to stop her or bathe the area for her , but I’m visiting my mother at the moment and her place is fully carpeted so she has plenty of opportunity to do it when she gets a chance
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 13 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern.Frenchies are prone to anal gland abscesses, as are dogs who've had them before. Her signs would be typical.She needs to see a vet to have them expressed in person and so she can be prescribed antibiotics and anti inflammatories asapTry to distract her from rubbing by offering her other things to do such as a nice long walk, interactive toys and food puzzles.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ok thanks
Not at all and wishing her all the very best.This window remains open and you can check in at any time.