Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 48 years of experience.
55012488

Just got a new puppy and his 3rd day he has blood in his

Just got a new puppy and his 3rd day he has blood in his stool
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Has the puppy seemed more or less thirsty since this started?
Customer: No he seems the same and is still eating, we did put a small amount of new food in his current food, is this too soon?
JA: Did the puppy eat anything unusual recently?
Customer: No he hasn’t
JA: What's the puppy's name?
Customer: King Louie
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: He has just had his first vaccines 2 days ago

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

Do you know King Louie's worming history? The blood you're seeing can be caused by roundworm, hookworm, whipworm, coccidia, and Giardia.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
He has just been wormed with the syrup? Prior to us collecting him
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
File attached (4GV1737)

I don't know what was in the syrup but regardless of the active ingredient, you can purchase fenbendazole (Panacur, Safeguard) over the counter and give it today, tomorrow, and the next day and it will address all of the parasites I mentioned except coccidia and so if you continued to see blood, King Louie's vet needs to perform a fecal ova and parasite exam looking for coccidia and if confirmed, prescribe three days of ponazuril.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Okay thank you