RebeccaC921
RebeccaC921,
Experience:  Expert
110217497

I have a bearded dragon. Literally my first day! His front

Customer Question

I have a bearded dragon . Literally my first day! His front leg he isn’t putting weight on it . It is sometimes in front sometimes held to the side ? He is active and eating .
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Does anything look different with the Bearded Dragon's legs/feet?
Customer: It is almost held to its side but no abnormalities that I can see. We only brought him home late yesterday and haven’t been handling him or anything.
JA: What's the Bearded Dragon's name?
Customer: cooper
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: Not that I know as I say we have only had him 1 day so we don’t know him that well.
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 17 days ago.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Please continue
Expert:  RebeccaC921 replied 15 days ago.

Hi there,

Welcome to just answer. We are an online based advice service.

You are through to Dr Coles. I am a UK based vet. I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your bearded dragon. There is quite a few different things which could be causing the lameness. Bearded dragons are quite prone to a few different conditions; metabolic bone disease (which can result in a fracture or break), gout (build up of uric acid crystals in the joint) and septic arthritis ( infection in the joint with bacteria).  It is possible on his journey that he may have injured himself. However if he is not putting weight on the foot then this means it will be very sore. I would recommend taking him to a vet ASAP as he may require x-rays and other tests to ensure the foot is not broken or rule out gout/infection (by blood tests). I would also ensure that he has adequate calcium supplementation & vitamin D. I would recommend using calcidust daily and vitamin D (nutrobal) twice weekly. It is also important to ensure his UVB is adequate. If these things are not adequate then it can lead to metabolic bone disease and the bones becoming easily broken. He will require pain killers and anti-inflammatories regardless of the cause so i would advise contacting your vet ASAP to have him seen.

Dr Coles

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you . We did take to vet and he has injured himself. He suggested all of the above which we were doing anyway hopefully it’s just a bit of bad luck ! Thank you for your response .

No problem, please do not hesitate to come back to us if you have any further questions.