Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

I have a question regarding my Doberman who got caught by a

Customer Question

I have a question regarding my Doberman who got caught by a dog in a field today I didn’t realise she was in season
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your Doberman?
Customer: Nothing but she tied with a dog today I didn’t realise she was in season but 3 years ago she had wobblers disease could not walk but the last 3 years she has been fine no pain and running about as normal after her neck operation. Would she be fine giving birth to the puppies ?
JA: This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 8 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
What age is she and has she ever had puppies before?
What breed did she mate with and what size was the male?
Is she currently on any medicine?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
My Doberman is 5 years old
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
She takes no medication
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Dalmation dog it was
It is likely if she is pregnant she would have a successful pregnancy and normal labour.
She is a good age for breeding and Doberman dogs tend to do well when it comes to being pregnant, labouring and caring for pups.
As she is currently not showing symptoms of Wobblers and doesn't require medicine for it, it is unlikely to impact on things.One concern would be that Wobblers has a genetic influence so her puppies would be at higher risk of developing this disease.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
She had wobblers 3 years ago but operation made her walk again. The last 3 years she has been fine
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ahh so would all puppies get the disease
No, this isn't something we can predict. It is a good thing the male wasn't a Doberman as Dalmatians don't tend to suffer from Wobblers. So while the pups would have a higher than average chance of being affected, they may not develop the condition.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Would the stress and being heavily pregnant impact on her neck for her wobblers previously
As her bones have been fused, this wouldn't be expected.
If possible, you could speak directly to her surgeon who would be able to provide more specific advise as he would know the extent of her condition and what exactly she had done in her surgery.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
On thanks for your help
Not at all and take care.