Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

I have two haired guinea pigs and I usually have issues with

I have two long haired guinea pigs and I usually have issues with the hair on their butt and in that area. It gets stuck together because of pee. They've gotten a couple butt baths, and recently I trimmed their hair at the back, which helped for a while but now one of them is all dirty again. I've tried to brush her regularly but she is very jumpy and panics and doesn't sit still when i get to any tugs, and it gets to the point that I am scared of brushing her in fear of hurting her. What can I do to avoid her getting so dirty? I am very wary of bathing them because i know regular washing isn't the best for them but it seems to be the only thing that works.
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
Unfortunately it can be tricky to keep on too of the grooming of long haired guinea pigs.
They need daily brushing and the fur around their bum does need to be trimmed and cleaned regularly.
While regular whole body baths aren't ideal as they dry skin, it is important to clean away any poo or pee as often as it appears. Leaving pee can lead to dermatitis (urine scalding).
I understand it is (really!) hard when the piggy is jumpy but try to keep it short and sweet and offer a treat after each session. The more you do it, the more they should get used to it.

I do hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further questions,

Take care,

Linda.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
What would you recommend for treats? I usually have to give her parsley to keep her still at all.Keeping her still is incredibly difficult, she flinches away and panics and tries to climb on me to hide away and i can never keep her still long enough to carefully deal with any knots in her hair.Even if i brush her daily, the clumps usually show up overnight so I'm struggling to keep on top of it.The knots and clumps usually form on the underside near her genitals so it is incredibly difficult to reach because she doesn't let me get near there.

If you find she is very prone to matting (some are more than others), I would brush twice daily and invest in a good brush which is specifically designed for their fur; pet shops should be able to show point you in the right direction.

I agree herbs like parsley and mint and coriander are a nice option. Something new may work well as it would grab her attention and take her mind off the brushing/trimming.