RebeccaC921
RebeccaC921,
Experience:  Expert
110217497

My terripin's she'll is turning round the sides it has an

Customer Question

Hi my terripin's she'll is turning white round the sides it has an orange spot also noticed red blotches on its belly Shell
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. When did you first notice the spot? Has the terrapin been licking or rubbing the skin?
Customer: The orange spot has been there a week or two the shell turning white has just started over the weekend
JA: What's the terrapin's name and age?
Customer: It's Leo I'd say he's about 9 I got him about 3 years ago from a friend of a friend
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: Not thats all
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 10 days ago.

Expert:  RebeccaC921 replied 10 days ago.

Hi there,

Welcome to just answer. We are an online based advice service.

You are through to Dr Coles. I am a UK based vet. I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your  terrapin. The symptoms you are describing are quite concerning. Red discolouration to the shell is often a symptom of septicaemia. This usually is caused by overwhelming bacterial infection, in the blood stream too. Usually in terrapins this can be due to either vitamin A deficiency, calcium deficiency, lack of UVB lighting, low temperatures, inadequate water temperature (too low) or inadequate basking area temperature. I would also recommend checking your water quality (nitrates, ammonia etc) as poor water quality can predispose to infections. It is also important to supplement the diet with vitamin A and calcium using supplements such as avipro and calcidust. Sometimes it is better to feed in a separate water tank to avoid contamination of the water with food material & faecal matter.

However I would advise that he needs to be seen by a vet ASAP as it is likely he will need antibiotic treatment, usually given by injections. The orange spot is possibly a fungal growth which can be secondary to poor water qualities as well.

Dr Coles