Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

I'm away on holiday at the moment and my dad is looking

Customer Question

Hi, I'm away on holiday at the moment and my dad is looking after my pet rats for me. He phoned earlier saying that one of my rats (who's quite old) has a swollen stomach but seems okay other than that. I'm not sure what to do since I'm not there.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is your rat's name and age?
Customer: His name's Mordred and he's at least 2 and a half( don't know how old he was when I got him.
JA: What is the rat's name?
Customer: Mordred
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Um.. I had 4 rats all around the same age-2 died about a year ago and Mordred is one of the remaining 2. Don't know if that's relevant or not.
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 17 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern, especially as you aren't with Mondred.Swelling of the abdomen can have many causes including internal bleeding, liver disease, an infection, a tumour, a blocked bladder or even a pregnancy (if he is possible actually a female).If at all possible, I would have him seen by a vet ASAP. They will examine him and determine what has caused the swelling and if any treatment is required. For example, if he has an infection he may require a course of antibiotics.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Okay, thanks. I just wanted to check because he seems fine in himself and is eating and toileting fine(so my dad tells me) and since he is quite old I didn't want to stress him out with a vet visit. (my nearest is about 20 miles away) if I didn't absolutely have to. He hates the car.
I understand, it can be quite stressful.
Unfortunately we are very limited with what we can do at home and a swelling like this should be investigated if at all possible.This window stays open for several days so you can keep me updated and ask any further questions you may have.Take care,Linda.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Not ay all. Stay safe!