Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My 5yr old cockerpoo has just eaten a tail from a soft toy.

Customer Question

Hi my 5yr old cockerpoo has just eaten a tail from a soft toy. It wasn't stuffed with anything just a flat piece of material.
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. What type of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Dog
JA: How much does the dog weigh?
Customer: 25kil
JA: When was this? Has the dog thrown up since eating the toy?
Customer: About 5mins ago
JA: What's the dog's name?
Customer: Ollie He hasn't thrown up yet
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: No that's it
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
He's eaten other things in the past like baby wipes and a piece of my sock and a baby sock of my grandsons
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
it has always come out the other end a few day's later. Shall i wait until he poops to see if its eliminated or to get him checked out.
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 5 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.
I'm sorry to hear this and appreciate your concern.Some dogs will vomit these items up while others may pass them in their stool. Chances are better if the dog is big and the item is small or has been chewed.There is a risk of obstruction so if he develops signs such as vomiting, lethargy, reduced appetite or abdominal bloating this would be cause for concern. He could even need a surgery to remove the tail.To minimise risk, you have the option of bringing him to your vet right away to induce vomiting.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Would you advice me to do it now or shall i wait until tomorrow just in case he poops it out in the morning
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Ok continue with online conversation
I am personally unable to make calls but am happy to continue talking via typing if that's OK.Ultimately it depends on how comfortable you are with the risk. To eliminate all risk, I would have him seen now.This would entail some stress and expense and may or may not be necessary.His size is on his side so he may well pass the item himself.As I say though, there is a real risk if we do not seek treatment now.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Ok thank you

I appreciate it is frustrating not to get a definite yes or no answer.

As I say, there is no 'right' answer.

Personally, if my dog had eaten and passed similar sized items in the past I would be more inclined to take the risk but would monitor very closely and have him seen at the first signs of any issue.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank you. I'll monitor for now and make the decision in the morning. He has pooped the other objects out normally in a day or two but if he hasn't i will take him to my vets. Thank you for your help.

Not at all.

This window remains open so please feel free to keep me updated.

Take care and good luck!