Linda Simmon
Linda Simmon, Veterinarian
Experience:  MVB MRCVS
103237793

My 6 month old collie pup has been limping on her back leg

Customer Question

Hi my 6 month old collie pup has been limping on her back leg for a couple days after playing/chasing a toy or jumping around
JA: Hi there. I'll do all I can to help. Does anything look different with the puppy's legs/feet?
Customer: I’ve looked and it seems okay and feels normal could be a sprain but just seems to keep happening after activity
JA: What's the puppy's name?
Customer: Misty
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know?
Customer: no
Expert:  Linda Simmon replied 13 days ago.

Hello, you are through to Dr Linda, a UK based vet.

I'm sorry to hear Misty has this issue.

Has her leg been examined by a vet?

Would she tolerate you checking her pad, toes and claws for e.g a foreign body or broken claw?

Have you been strictly resting her since it happened?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
She hasn’t been examined yet and seems to be a possible sprain but I’m no expert she is fine until she has jumped or done any sudden movements, she is happy for me to touch it but takes all the weight of it

Thank you for this additional information.

I am just typing my reply now.

The concern when it comes to a back leg injury in a dog is that we could be dealing with something serious such as hip dysplasia, a ruptured knee ligament or a knee cap which pops in and out of place.

While it is hopefully just a strained muscle, given that she is taking all weight off it and that it has been over 48 hours without resolution, I would advise Misty is seen by a vet.

They will examine her and localise the pain as well as discussing what may have occurred. If concerned, they will suggest imaging such as x-rays.

They will almost certainly start Misty on medicine such as anti-inflammatories and pain relief to help healing.

At home, it is vital she is strictly rested, which means NO running, jumping etc. She should only be allowed out for toilet walks on a short lead. This sort of strict  rest is usually for a minimum of 5 days.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Okay thanks for your advice I will try my best to keep her rested and monitor her movement if no improvement by tomorrow I will take her to the local vets and get a consultation, thanks again

Sounds like a good plan!

Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery.

This window remains open so do feel free to check back in.

Take care and all the best to Misty,

Linda

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thanks if I need further help I will be in touch, take care