Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 48 years of experience.
55012488

My guinea pig has itchy skin from mites in the hay. i have

Customer Question

my guinea pig has itchy skin from mites in the hay . i have given him some ivermectine but it doesn't seem to be helping what else can i try ?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been concerned about the mites? Have you spoken to a vet about this?
Customer: no i havent spoken to a vet until now .
JA: Has the guinea pig vomited recently? Any signs of blood in his stool?
Customer: no thank fully
JA: And what's the guinea pig's name and age?
Customer: he is called panda pig and he is about 6 yrs old now
JA: Is there anything else the Vet should know about Panda?
Customer: no
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 13 days ago.

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

I'm sorry to hear about this with Panda. Ectoparasites are best diagnosed by microscopic examination and direct visualization of the mites or their eggs before treatment, Mites, however, are usually treated with ivermectin (0.4 mg/kg subcutaneously every 10-14 days for 4 treatments) or selamectin (15 mg/kg topical, single dose). These treatments have been found to be effective for treatment of the most itchy mite of these pigs: T. caviae. Repeat treatments with selamectin (the prescription Revolution, for example) may be needed, however.

Please respond with additional questions and concerns if you wish.